Inspiring Disciples in Advent
The daily message from the venerable Episcopal Church publication, “Forward Day by Day,” appears each morning on our Daily Mike Facebook page. A ministry of The Episcopal Church, Forward Movement has been inspiring disciples and empowering evangelists around the globe since 1935. Please check their Facebook page and the Forward Movement display rack on the wall near the patio door in Michael’s Room. Pick up a pamphlet or two from the rack to share with family and friends. We provide a donation box for your convenience – or order online.
This month’s featured pamphlet is “How To Keep Advent." The author reminds us that despite the fact that we see Christmas decorations go up right afer Thanksgiving and Christmas parties and concerts are held early in December, "the Church maintains that Christmas does not begin until Christmas Eve when we celebrate Christ's actual birth."
Here are some suggestions for observing he season of Advent, a time of preparation and anticipation of the birth of Christ:
- Light an Advent wreath
- Set up you creche but wait until Christmas to add the figure of baby Jesus
- Put up your Christmas tree in stages. Keep it undecorated for a few days. Remember that purple and blue are the colors of Advent
- Save time for quiet reflection
- Slow down gift giving. Simple Advent gifts (perhaps anonymous) of homemade items may be appropriate.
- Give to those in need and Involve children and grandchildren in reaching out to others.
- Ruth Poole